During infectious disease outbreaks, and epidemics such as COVID-19, there is a moral imperative for ethically and scientifically rigorous clinical research. This workshop will inform participants about some of the ethical challenges in conducting this research. We will cover 5 broad topics:
- Ethics of research in vulnerable populations
- Community and stakeholder engagement
- Informed consent in epidemic research
- Biobanking during epidemics
- Ethics review during epidemics
The workshop will be broken down into these topics in two 4-hour sessions over the two days. Teaching will be a combination of presentations and Q&A discussions.